Sunday 2 June 2013

Step Three: Happy Medium


"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Firstly, I think I need to confess that I am writing whilst wearing my onesie and eating fried food having been struck down by a potentially fatal case of beer fear. So, apologies in advance if this post becomes a bit of a one woman pity party but I am in need of a very serious personal meeting...and I thought it would be a handy way to explain the next stage of the plan.

Not only have I failed to tick of any of my "baby steps" this week (seriously, my nails are beyond grim), but I also failed so impressively at maintaining any level of moderation and self-control, that it falls into the category of being the antithesis of sophrenity. But, THAT'S OK.

We entered into "The Togetherness Plan" knowing that it would be a challenge. We had our epiphany moment and celebrated victories on the road to inner harmony, no matter how small. But we also accepted that there would be some pitfalls along the way. Sobrietas was doing a great job at consuming more vegetables- I swear, the girl will become a piece of broccoli if she isn't careful- but is currently demolishing more pizza than I have ever seen one human survive.

LaLa ran to work the required 3 days last week (props to her!), only to arrive at a friend's birthday weekend in her clothes from the night before. She almost pulled it off but the power of Pimms forced the confession that she'd had a rather pleasant overnight stay in a hotel and hadn't been home at all. 

My former self would probably have applauded their efforts and moved on without batting an eyelid. But, we're trying to become sophrosyne and these events can quickly be deemed catastrophic failures with the potential to cause some metaphoric throwing in of the towel and giving up all together. Which brings me onto one of my favourite parts of the plan, Happy Medium.

The definition of sophrosyne requires us to have a "deep awareness of one's true self" so it's time to stop kidding ourselves that we will ever become an incarnation of the goddess herself and realise that, quite frankly, would we want to be? 

Now, before you get downhearted about this revelation and wonder if there's any point any more, I should explain how this actually only makes the plan more exciting!

1. Dream big- God loves a trier, so be one.

2. Set your baby steps- small things that make you at least feel like you're making progress.

3. Be yourself- nobody wants to be friends with a girl who has the personality of a wet lettuce so sometimes you're just going to have to go with it. Just maybe try to elegantly step off the band wagon rather than spectacularly falling...and don't forget to hop back on when the next one arrives!

Good Luck!

Love, life and laughter,

Sophrosyne
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment